Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2024, 02:48 AM   #1

Wink Slide seals and wipers

Hello everybody.
First off. I'm not exactly new to this forum, but have never posted that I can recall. My problem is, and the assistance that I am asking for pertains to the big slide out seals and wipers. My RV is a 2013 Redwood 36FB. This rv sat in the hot south Texas sun not being cared for for 5 years because it was way on the back burner due to the terminal disease (ALS) of my beautiful wife. Anyway, I considered buying a new one, but after weighing spending all that money on a new one, and how beautiful this one is, I decided to restore both AC's, all vent covers on the roof, all the hydraulic seals for the legs, chump change vs going thru Lippert.The total was around $300, at a hydraulic hose and seal shop. Also based on this forums info, went to residential on the fridge and saved about five grand vs buying and replacing the old one. My thought process here is that I can simply spend over twenty grand to restore and return this fine rv back to it's original state. That being said, I'm having to learn about a lot of stuff because I AM SUCH A DARN DIY'ER. After looking at all the part numbers on seals and wipers you guys have been posting and watching the installation videos, I told myself I got this, BUT,,, I started pulling the kitchen slide seal and wiper off and there seems to be another wiper the same width on the inside, and with enough screws pulled and thinking that there is only a wiper on the outside, I find that this is a butterfly looking wiper of some kind with the track all molded into one, and I can't seem to be able to remove a section to study it closer. I seem to be missing some info on the kinda of V shaped seal that needs to be replaced. Any help or guidance is greatly appreciated. I'm hoping that if I can at least get a section of it off, I can find a source that sells it, otherwise reluctantly drag it to the shop in San Antonio.
hank_moses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2024, 03:00 AM   #2

Slide out seals and wipers

Just wanna add to the above post. The seal I found based on another thread is=AP 018-2030-168 Double EK D Base, but after studying it on the ebay site, it has two tracks and has me confused on how to remove as I can't seem to find another track on the inside of my particular seal.
Old 07-13-2024, 11:31 AM   #3

I do not know if this is how you close an opened thread post that has been
un-responded to or not, but thanks to ''Cheezy1'' on another thread, I was able to get the job done. Thanks.
Old 07-27-2024, 09:53 PM   #4

this is the type seal in our 2015. they are availible in different wall thicknesses and wiper lenth.

https://www.amazon.com/AP-Products-0...2112217&sr=8-5
Old 07-28-2024, 04:41 PM   #5

Thanks Mark. Found em. Just waiting on a little cooler texas weather to install them. Looks like a fairly easy job though.
Old 07-30-2024, 01:58 PM   #6

Hi Hank,
Where did you find them?
max3140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2024, 06:15 PM   #7

I found them at ''partsusa.com''. Shipping was $150.00 but the price on
them were cheaper. They have them on Amazon, but cost more. I didn't
mind shipping cost from parts usa because it worked out for me to get the
seals, and D bulbs cheaper than amazon and just $150 shipping. You simply
have to compare their prices and paying the $150 shipping vs the free shipping
but a higher price on amazon.

Regards
Old 08-09-2024, 01:59 PM   #8

Thank you Hank
I've had to replace several seals, and that's the next one on the list
max3140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2024, 07:39 PM   #9

Last winter we purchased a 2012 36FB with the same issue, the slide seals were baked in the Az sun for several years and all the southern facing and slide upper seals had turned to mush. I found the correct double seals thanks to the folks here on the forum but they are very costly and in some cases were more to ship them than the seals themselves. Unfortunately, I couldn't find them long enough for the slide tops so they would have needed to be spliced. Since they only came in 14' lengths and the side wall seals are over 7' so there would have been alot of waste. All in all it was going to cost around $1000 to buy and ship the double seals needed.

After thinking about it, I realized the inner wall half of the double seal was fine. So I ended buying a roll of single lip slide seal on Amazon that would work. I closed the slide a bit, removed the inner bulb seal and added several screws in the inner flange since they only had a few just to hold it in place, then replaced the original bulb seal.

Next I removed the outer bulb seal and removed all the screws holding the outer seal flange in place. Marked the location of the outer screw locations then removed the outer seal lip adhesive and pulled the outer seal away from the wall and cut it off the web holding it to the inner half of the seal with a utility knife. Then just installed the single seal in its place with the 3M adhesive strip and replaced the flange screws in the same holes.

Cost was a fraction of buying and shipping the OEM double wall seal and will be much easier to change the next time if needed.

On my LR slide top for some reason the lip seal was not even touching the slide roof so it basically was useless. I was able to find a single lip seal that was 3" wide and it worked perfect.
samert111@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2024, 05:15 PM   #10

That is a great idea. It's too late for me to do that as I have already replaced them. I did go back and study what you did, and that sure would have save me a bunch of money. Oh well, maybe it will help somebody else on this forum at a later date if they read your post in time.

Regards

« Dump valve issues | - »